The check engine light is one of the most potent indicators that your car might need some work. It can turn on for a wide variety of reasons, and it can turn on without any warning. If you are in the middle of a trip and it lights up, it’s often a cause of concern and even panic. Here are some of the reasons why your check engine light might be on.
1. Oxygen sensor might be defective - The oxygen sensor is there to monitor how much fuel the engine burns, and it does this by checking how much unburned oxygen makes it to the exhaust. Over time, oil and gunk from the exhaust may cover the sensor/s, which makes it less effective and cause the check engine light to turn on.
2. Gas cap is faulty - The gas cap is a very important part of your car. Not only does it act as a safety vault against accidental ignition, but it also prevents fuel vapors from leaking out and messing up your combustion. If your check engine light turns on, it will be wise to check on the gas cap as it might be loose or leaking.
3. Catalytic converter needs replacement - The catalytic converter is important as it helps in filtering the exhaust. The converter can get damaged for multiple reason, making your car more prone to polluting the air. What’s more, it also adversely affects engine performance and fuel economy. When the engine light is on, it’s smart to check on the catalytic converter.
4. Mass airflow sensor is damaged- The mass airflow sensor is mainly there to guide the engine’s ECU to produce the right air/fuel mixture. It can be damaged by multiple factors such as the improper installation of air filters. It is important that you check the MAF sensor when you see the engine light on.
5. Spark plugs and wirings need to be checked- Any irregularities in the function of both the spark plugs and the wirings can cause your engine to function less effectively. When your check engine light is on, there’s a good chance that either your spark plugs or your wiring needs to be fine-tuned or even replaced.
There are other reasons that may turn on your check engine light. Regardless, it is important that you get the fix correctly. This is we at Meyers Auto Parts come in. In the parts business since 1976, we will help keep your car in top shape.
The team at Meyers Auto Parts are sharing with you.